Wednesday 16 January 2013

The Count of Monte Cristo

Alexandre Dumas (1802-70). This image was taken by Nadar in 1855.

I've just recently finished The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. I thought it was absolutely brilliant & thoroughly recommend it, especially the Penguin Classics edition (ISBN 9780140449266), which is what I read. This is translated by Robin Buss & has the great advantages of being unabridged & unexpurgated. I want to quote a bit of dialogue from near the end of the novel. It doesn't give any of the plot away. It is a conversation between the Count & his friend Morrel. The latter speaks first:


" 'Count, you are an encyclopedia of all human knowledge, & you strike me as someone who has come down from a more advanced & wiser world than our own.'
'There is some truth in that, Morrel,' the Count said with a melancholy smile that transfigured his face. 'I have come from a planet called sorrow.'"


- Ch.117 'October the Fifth', p.1235

No comments:

Post a Comment