Monday 7 January 2013

Juan Carlos




Juan Carlos I of Spain (b.1938)


Juan Carlos, the king of Spain, gave a rare interview to Spanish television recently. It was broadcast late on Friday night, January 4th. I happened to see clips of it on BBC News the next day: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20917695 .I had two immediate reactions. I haven't seen a picture of Juan Carlos for ages, & I was shocked by how old he looked. (Taking a step back though, of course he looks old because he is.) My other reaction was how all of a sudden he so clearly resembles his ancestor, Charles IV. Again, this is not really surprising because he is after all a direct descendant. Judge for yourself:

Juan Carlos



Charles IV by Goya









The Family of Charles IV by Goya, 1800 



Heredity, eh ?

No comments:

Post a Comment